CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
The things that make you say holy crap and SMILE!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Round One: The Minivan Question

Let me preface this by saying I love my life. Honestly there is not much I would change if given the chance. I mean there is always the nicer house, more money, bigger boobs, but the foundation of what I have is perfect.

Sometimes I catch myself and I look around and wonder "when did all this happen." In fact I just had one of the moments in the shower and it gave me the inspiration to write my first post. There are times at night when the boys are in bed and the dishwasher is going and I think how did I get here? When did I become a homeowner, wife, and mother, and driver of the infamous MINIVAN. I am pushing 30 and I honestly don't feel anything past 24. I feel like my grandma when I say that.

As I grow closer and closer to the big 3-0 I ponder life's really important questions.


When is it OK to sport the holiday sweater as a legitimate outfit choice?

At what point in your life do you wake up in the morning and pull on a 3D sweater with snowmen and glittery holly and think wow I look good. When fall rolls around do you look eagerly forward to pulling out the pumpkin sweater. Really when does this happen. Working at a school I see my fair share of holiday attire. Sometimes when I see a cornucopia walking down the hallway I shiver, thinking one day that could be me.


Driving the minivan.

This is a life landmark I have already met. While I was pregnant with Carter I began thinking about the logistics of having two kids 18months apart. An image that petrified me was going to the grocery store. I could not fathom how I would ever load two kids and groceries into the car. That is when I began to think about the minivan. Honetly the automatic sliding doors are what got me. I LOVE that I can open my doors from across the parking lot and my boys can scamper in while I wrestle with the groceries, shopping cart, and oversized purse (which is a must for every west county mom). I toyed with the idea of a Honda Odyssey, but lets face it. If I am going to spend over $30,000 on a car it will not be a minivan. So I settled on my Kia Sedona and have never looked back. This minivan was made for me. Installing the DVD player was the single best parenting move I have made to date.


Master of the minivan, when do you move to the window decal?

You know you have seen them….the minivans cruising down the highway with the stick figure family on the back. Each figure representing a member of the family, right down to the dog. I have a special hated for these window decals. Why are they necessary? They are the common day equivalent to the "Baby on Board" sign of the 1980s. I really don't get them. Are they used a tool to brag about your family size, Duggar style? Or are the simply a tool used to define who is within the sliding doors of the minivan. My sister had her monogram on the back of her car. I think this is also dumb. You can monogram towels, pillows, even shirts. You should not monogram your car. I draw the line there.


Retiring the bikini and making nice with the tankini.

When I was pregnant with Grant the one piece swimsuit was the natural choice. I felt I was too tall to sport the tankini while pregnant. I had an unnatural fear of accidental belly exposure. Once Grant was born and then Carter I felt comfortable in removing the bikinis of summers past out of my home. Casey however felt differently. Like the minivan, Casey HATES tankinis. I think it makes him feel old to have a wife that no longer feels comfortable baring her midsection. He must often forget that the midsection in question has carried two babies, one which hweighed over 8 lbs. I don't like looking at my bare stomach. Why should I subject anyone else to such horrors. Now in my defense I am one of the lucky few whose body did eventually pull into shape. And P.S. I use the term "shape" loosely, much like my skin. Now as we approach the summer of 2010 I can safely say it will be the summer of the Tankini yet again. I already have my eye on a cute little number at Macy's


No comments:

Post a Comment